Friday, November 26, 2010

Our Thanksgiving dinner

Our Thanksgiving dinner was a conglomerate of old recipes and memories and fresh input from Howie and Abby. I made this amazing broth from a Saveur recipe Abby sent me with white wine and Calvados (I substituted pear brandy) which later was used in both the gravy and the stuffing. The stuffing was the highlight: started with a box of Trader Joe's corn bread stuffing mix and added chestnuts, cooked pork sausage (good-bye vegan diet for yesterday), Howies "aromatics", an egg, more broth, dried cranberries; part went into the neck area of the bird and the rest we cooked in an open shallow baking dish until crisp on top.
Also good was a chocolate pecan pie which again was a combo of Frontera Grill and 3 other recipes found on line. By melting the bittersweet choc., it turned more into a chocolate pie with pecans....but was delicious!
I am also reading the Finkler book. Try "Dog Boy" by Hortung. Also "Friday Night Lights" on NetFlix which P and I have become addicted to.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Robin for the tips of the books. I will look for the Hortung book and the netflix Friday Night Lights. I will have to try the stock Abby gave the recipe for.
    love,
    Howie

    ReplyDelete