Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Basics-Stuffing

I do the stuffing Thursday morning (but have peeled and crumbled the chestnuts the night before with the fam while sipping negroni's or pomtinis). A great bonding experience.

1. Saute the aromatics: diced celery, carrots, onions, shallots, red peppers, in some olive oil, bacon pieces, and butter. Simmer till just starting to carmelize, but not too much. Add diced mushrooms (shitake, cremini, or what you have). saute those till they release their liquid and brown, also can add a pinch of red pepper flakes.

2. At this point I deglaze with dry vermouth, or wine, or sherry.

3. Can add other items you like here-sausage, etc, (I usually don't add a meat)

4. Mix the bountiful aromatics and mushrooms with the crumbled chestnuts and add in a large bowl to cubed bread (large baguettes from Trader Joes, or sour dough, or Italian bread)

5. Mix all together, add a little white wine or vermouth, salt and pepper, parsley, a couple of eggs, and a little turkey stock if too dry. Mix well, taste for the seasoning. I also add some dried basil, or the seeds from the basil that has died outside. Also sage leaves and thyme.

6. I always stuff in the turkey. Soaks up good turkey flavor and love the well browned skin where the tail is with the stuffing underneath. So I stuff in the cavity as well as the end where the tail is.

7. That is my basic method. I am sure will have some other ideas and comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment